Friday, January 23, 2009

Welcome to my new blog!

It has been well over a year since I completed my tour of every Major League Baseball stadium. Ever since I started this quest back in 2002, it had been my plan to put together a web page of all my photos, ticket stubs, scorecards as well as accounts of my experiences. To some extent, I have done this, but in a very disjointed collection of photo albums and write-ups on my fantasy baseball league's web site. Since I think this interests people outside of my league, I decided to create this brand new blog to tie everything together.

Taking a step back, I should explain exactly what I did before diving into the details. Immediately after graduating from Notre Dame in 2002, I set a goal to attend a game at every Major League Baseball stadium. Although I wasn't sure how realistic it was, my plan was to go to about five parks each summer, hitting all 30 in six years. Many baseball nuts have done this before me. In fact, some with a lot more time and money have done it over a much shorter period of time. I've seen accounts of people who have done it on a single trip. Obviously, that was completely unrealistic for a recent college grad starting out with next to no money.

Generally, I attended new stadiums on a single summer trip. There were a number of exceptions to this though. For instance, the first summer (2002), I went to games in cities that I was already planning on visiting anyway. Then there was the last leg (2007) that took me on three separate cross-country trips. Last summer, I went to games at two new parks that had replaced parks I previously visited (Washington and St. Louis). I intend to continue to do this as new stadiums open. That means I plan to attend games in both brand new New York parks this summer.

Now back to this blog. Over the next several months, I plan on creating a new post for each stadium I visited. The entries will contain photos I took at the game, scanned copies of ticket stubs and scorecards, and my personal review of the stadium. I'll mention a little about the games too, but you will have to forgive me if I don't remember all the details about a game I watched six years ago. Some of my old posts on my league's web site should help jog my memory though.

There is one thing I will not do that you might be expecting. I do not plan on ranking the stadiums, as is probably the custom among those of us who have been to every stadium. I will tell you what I liked and disliked about each park and you might be able to get a sense about where it ranks. But coming up with a ranked order is not something I'm interested in doing, especially since there are so many stadiums I really liked. Almost all of the stadiums built in the last 20 years are great places to watch a game and the old parks have history and charm that can't be duplicated.

I will go in the order I attended the stadiums, which means the Metrodome in Minneapolis will be first up. In the mean time, click on the image below to view the Picassa Web Album I created a year ago. For the most part, I included three photos from each stadium: exterior, interior and an in-game shot.

Let me know what you think. Enjoy!

MLB Stadiums

No comments:

Post a Comment